Monday, July 14, 2008

GIFTS AND TALENTS

Yesterday afternoon I watched the DVD of the concert in Beijing showcasing Andrew Lloyd Webber's music. In fact, I watched it twice. The music was phenomenal! While I was soaking in all the gorgeous music (and singing along with some of the songs!), my thoughts drifted to the subject of "gifts and talents." I do truly believe that everyone is talented in some way, even though so many people feel totally worthless.

There were 2 main trains of thought along this track. The first one was how incredibly talented some people are...the musicians...the vocalists...ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER...and how very blessed we are that they have chosen to share their gifts to enrich our lives.

The second thought was the memory of my journey through the maze of "gifts and talents." I love music. Love, love, love music! I love contemporary Christian music. I have been to many church services where the music was more inspirational than the sermon. (shhhhh...don't tell that to any pastors.) I wanted in the worst way for my God-given talents to be musical. I wanted to share the songs that meant so very much to me. I wanted to bless people with beautiful piano music. But God had other ideas. I have an "ok for choir if standing beside a strong singer" voice, and I never had the opportunity to take piano lessons as a child. For many years hearing all of that wonderful music made me sad. Sad because I so wanted to be able to produce those sounds but couldn't. I missed a lot of joy holding onto MY idea of what my gifts should be.

That seems to happen to a lot of folks. Lots of quotes about it. Lots of stories. But what it boils down to is this: God's ideas aren't always the same as ours. His timetable is almost NEVER the same as ours. But He gives each of us awesome gifts and talents and blesses us as we share them with others. It took me a long time to "live" that truth. I hope you're smarter and quicker than I am.

2 comments:

STQ said...

Well, what's your excuse for NOT taking piano lessons now? I happen to know that you have a piano...and an organ (sorry) and probably an extra hour a week to take lessons... I mean, why not? And thanks for the card - you're the best, AC!!

Miz C (and Burton) said...

I took lessons briefly when UJ and I lived in Washington and was doing fairly well...but then we moved. I took for a few months here while Andrea was taking them, but the fingers weren't limber enough...and practicing wasn't a priority or even a desire anymore. Too many other things had entered my life...like kids and room mothering and carpooling and COMPUTERING!!! Maybe in my next life. Digital photography gets all the spare time right now.

p.s. Don't worry about the organ!!! We have 2 of them, in fact...one for each hand. (smile)