Friday, August 31, 2007
I love this time of year. I have never outgrown my love of school supplies. Now that the girls are totally out of school and not living at home, I have no excuse to buy them. HOWEVER, I just couldn't resist the sale on folders with pockets and prongs...only 10 cents each!!!!!!!!!!! I have a nice supply now if anyone needs one in the wee hours of the morning and can't find a store open. (Yes, that used to happen when the girls were here...not just them but the neighbors, too...most needing poster board for some "forgotten" project that was due the next day.)
Andrea is going camping over the weekend. I don't know what Alyson has planned. Roy and I have no special plans.
If you travel...BE SAFE!
Sunday, August 26, 2007
This year 20 of our senior high youth went as "buddies" to a week-long camp for "blind/visually impaired" youth. Some were "buddies" with their young person for 24 hours a day...others just during the waking hours. This morning they presented a program during which they told about their experiences and presented a slideshow of the pictures. They are amazing young people!!!!! Our future is in good hands.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
The other sight, one that made me chuckle but also worried me, was an older lady toodling down Knickerbocker Rd. in her scooter chair. It made me chuckle because Roy's (my hubby) mom used to get out in her motorized wheel chair and travel through the neighborhood. She got brave one day and decided she'd just keep going to the grocery store...and a policeman stopped and gave her a ticket. We laughed about that for years.
The worry was for the lady's safety. This was definitely one of those situations that called for a quick prayer. Knickerbocker Rd. can be a dangerous place.
THURSDAY LOVEZZZZ AND HUGZZZZZZZZZZ TO ALL!
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
I am still... pondering which camera would be the best buy -- pondering which mattress would be the best buy -- THINKING ABOUT rearranging the bookshelves in the den -- and CONTEMPLATING cleaning out my closet. The "spirit is willing," but the old body seems to have other ideas.
I am getting a bit of physical therapy on my shoulder to convince it not to be cranky, and my "astute observation" for today was that I am super-easily entertained. Today I was just as happy as a clam watching how the "floaters" in my eyes reacted when I moved my eyes in different directions. (In my defense I must add that there was a heat pack on my shoulder and there wasn't a lot else I could do). Anyone else easily entertained????
Friday, August 17, 2007
Can you fill in the missing word/words in these Advertising Slogans?
1. You're in good hands with _______ .
2. Are you a _________ Fruit and Nut case?
3. ______, take me away.
4. I'd walk a mile for a _____.
5. Please don't squeeze the _______.
6. _________, a little dab'll do ya.
7. ___ is the place for the helpful hardware
8. _______________ makes hamburgers taste like
9. Aren't you glad you use ____? (_____ ___
____ _________ ___?)
10. ___________, the San Francisco treat.
11. Bring out the _________ and bring out the
12. Fly the friendly skies of ______.
13. Oh I wish I was an _____ _____ ______.
14. In the valley of the Jolly,"Ho, ho, ho" _____ _____.
15. Double your pleasure,Double your funwith __________ ___.
16. I'd like to buy the world a ____.
17. Like a good neighbor, _____ ____ is there.
18. Nobody doesn't like ____ ___.
19. Snap! Crackle! Pop! ____ ________.
20. See the U.S.A....in your _________ .
21. The best part of waking up is ________ in
Thursday, August 16, 2007
She acutally made her bridesmaids dress!!! I was so proud of that kid. Her mother was no help whatsoever. I never did learn to sew. I know she will have a wonderful time this weekend.
I'd appreciate prayers for their safety as they run around to all the festivities in the rain and also as she flies back to Seattle on Sunday.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
This morning I snapped a couple of pics while Burton was on his "take care of business" jaunt. I love taking pictures of butterflies. They are just so beautiful.
Saturday, August 11, 2007
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it...don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.
Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.
Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.
Q: What are some of the advantages of participating a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good.
Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: You're not listening. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?
Q: What's the secret to healthy eating?
A: Thicker gravy.
Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.
Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO ...... Cocoa beans ... another vegetable!!! It's the best feel good food around!
Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and iets.
Now go have a cookie...flour is a veggie!
received from Mikey's Funnies
Sunday, August 5, 2007
1. You start talking to your plants--for advice.
2. You order crushed Tagamet on your frozen yogurt.
3. You've chewed all your own fingernails and now you're eyeing your spouse's.
4. You've developed a twitch . . . to go with your other four.
5. You wake up at 3:00 a.m. and start working on your income taxes . . . in July.
6. You start making simple spelling errors . . . like in your name.
7. You find that the startling noise of your neighbors fluffing a pillow makes you jump.
8. Your dog posts a sign that says, "Beward of Human."
9. You've been watching TV for hours . . . and the set isn't even turned on.
10. You have an attack of road rage . . . and you haven't even left your driveway.
from God Has Never Failed Me, But He's Sure Scared Me To Death A Few Times
by Stan Toler & Martha Bolton
Saturday, August 4, 2007
It's been a good summer. Weather here in Texas has been amazing. It's been rainy and in the 80's the majority of the summer so far. As far as I'm concerned, that is absolutely heavenly!!! It's headed back to the mid 90's this week, against my wishes!!!
Andrea will be home for a few days week after next. It will be wonderful to see her!!!! Alyson will be going to Seattle in a couple of weeks to find an apartment and hopefully a job. She'll be moving in September.
I've been working on pictures of relatives lately. We had a Cousins' Reunion in June and that got me in the "thinking about family" mode. Even though I'm an only child, my mom was one of 9 kids, so there are quite a few of us cousins.
I've had a wonderful time taking pictures of water lilies this summer. The cooler weather has made it enjoyable to be out taking pictures. Here is my favorite of the latest batch of pictures. I call it "Under A Sheltering Wing." Would love to have comments from anyone still reading the sporadic posts here. If there are still any readers, I'll try to do a better job of posting more frequently.
August hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to all!
- ► 2008 (60)
- DOESN'T SEEM POSSIBLE
- IN GOOD HANDS
- SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
- This has been a good day. I met a friend at the m...
- I think these are lots of fun...thought someone el...
- DELIGHTFUL VISIT
- DELIGHTFUL TUESDAY
- Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can pro...
- STRESS OVERLOAD
- Someone once told me that the older they got, the ...
- ▼ August (10)