Sunday, June 10, 2007

REUNION TIME

Aren't "family reunions" strange creatures. I am just now getting back into the "loop" of ours. While my kids were young, I didn't make the effort to go to the reunions, but now that I'm older with an empty nest, it seems very important to be part of that "family unit."

We're an assorted lot. My mom was one of 9 kids so there are lots of cousins. Several have already died (entirely too young!!!), several aren't "in touch" at the moment, and one of our "cousins crew" isn't able to travel. The scariest thing is the fact that I was the YOUNGEST "cousin" at the reunion.

It was a delightful two days of "remembering," catching up on current families and watching "family dynamics." I laughed a lot; I have inherited my mom's sense of humor and just can't resist being silly at times.

There are only 2 aunts left, and both of them are well into their 80's. There were 7 of us cousins there. There were also assorted spouses and a couple of our offspring. It was wonderful but tiring, so I was glad to come home last night. I will continue to enjoy the reunion as I sort through the million pictures Roy and I took as well as the "pictures of yesteryear" we scanned from the albums of our cousins.

Oh...and I'm proud to announce that my horseshoe team (Tommy and I) won FIRST PLACE in the horseshoe throwing contest. DON'T ASK ANY QUESTIONS! It's much more impressive if you don't know all the details!!!

No comments: